Tying It All Together
From our previous discussion on the science of liver detoxification, there were 3 main clues that arose:
- Phase 1. Less toxins = less liver stress. So reduce your toxic load!
- Phase 2. The liver needs lots of nutrients to detoxify properly. So improve your diet!
- Phase 3. Good gut bacteria are essential for purging toxins. So fix your gut health!
I’ve expanded below on some practical ways that you can carry out these CRITICAL steps in reclaiming your energy and health.
They’re not complex…but for them to work YOU need to do the work! If the list is too overwhelming then make a written goal of implementing a handful of these to get started.
10 Things You Must AVOID For A Proper Liver Detox
- Consuming inflammatory foods such as sugar, industrial seed oils, conventional dairy, gluten and excess omega 6, or anything else that you as an individual are intolerant to
- Lack of sleep
- Emotional and mental stress
- Chronic infections
- “Leaky gut” (a.k.a. intestinal hyper-permeability)
- Suboptimal thyroid function
- “Adrenal fatigue” (a.k.a. HPA axis dysregulation)
- Conventional personal care and cleaning products
- Storing, eating or heating using plastic containers (switch to glass)
10 Things You Must INCLUDE For A Proper Liver Detox
- Protein (Enzymes are proteins and it is the enzymes that are largely responsible for the detoxification process)
- Adequate B vitamins (animal proteins are the richest source)
- Zinc (as above but also nuts/seeds)
- Magnesium (I recommend supplementing as our soil is significantly depleted of this very in-demand mineral)
- Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts…)
- A beautiful rainbow of vegetables for their flavonoids and other phytonutrients
- Glutathione (to help boost this, opt for sulphur rich foods such as onions and garlic. If you tolerate whey protein then this is also a good addition)
- Eggs, if tolerated (source of phospholipids and fat soluble vitamins)
- Fermented foods (kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha, coconut yoghurt)
- Bone broth and gelatin
A Liver Detox Smoothie That Works!
Thankfully I’ve put together a handy little guide on EXACTLY what you can be blending up for the ultimate Liver Detox Smoothie! Thank me later 🙂
Do you like what you see? Feel free to share it (via the social buttons below) with somebody who could really benefit from the advice given!
As always, ask me any questions you have either below, on social media or via email.
Want To Know More?
If you haven’t already received your FREE eBook, “The Perfect Digestion” solution, then pop your email in the side bar box- this contains some powerful, practical ways to lay a foundation of good gut health!
I’ve also produced an amazing self-help guide on “Healing Digestive Discomfort”– this is the best resource on the market for beginning to diagnose and treat your own gut issues.
Browse through our previous episodes of “The Holistic Nutritionists Podcast” (also available on iTunes) and get the lowdown on issues of relevance for you!
You can also use the search bar below to find great previous articles, like my previous IQS guest post on Thyroid Function.
And if you’re still totally stuck, then book in to see me! I offer personalised Skype consults for anybody, anywhere. I can help you get out of the vicious cycle of feeling low, helpless and worn out. It is common to feel tired, but it most certainly is not normal. There is so much that can be done through functional medicine, food and targeted supplementation. I know, I have been in your shoes!